Sunday, April 24, 2011

Latest Tribulations

I have a post about setting up my server partially completed, but that will have to wait for the time being.

My primary desktop has become unreliable. I snapped a power supply cable, and needed to replace it anyway on account of the PS fan failing (very noisy, and I thought it might be causing overheating). After doing so, I installed my new optical drive (works great; very speedy), and my new hard drive (delightfully capacious), however my computer restarts every couple days. Going through the syslog, it reports that it reached the critical temperature (120ºC). I keep Folding@Home running in the background, so lm-sensors usually reports that my CPU's are running around 55º. I wrote a quick script to log the output of sensors to watch it overheating, and maybe figure out why. lm-sensors reports that there is no over-heating going on. So a)lm-sensors isn't watching the proper sensor, b)the temperature is going from 55º to 120º in less than 8 seconds (my sampling interval window), or c)Linux is getting a bad signal.

I don't know whether to hope for c or not. I'm still running my first Linux installation on this setup (a fact of which I am proud), I think, so it's probably due to be scorched and replaced soon. I'm making do with Windows XP x64 for the time being, with Folding@Home running to try to keep the CPU usage high. We'll see if it's a Linux-only thing.

Perhaps Windows is more reliable (I've critically crippled it less), but it's so much less powerful and accessible I would still choose unstable Linux over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment